So, you have a bunch of data that's not in Drupal, and you want Drupal to be able to utilize it. However, once you start digging into how to connect this data to Drupal, you realize that there are many, many ways to do this, and it's unclear on which way fits your use case the best.
This session will be discussing many of the ways we can work with external data in Drupal. We will be focusing mostly on higher level concepts, but at points we will be delving into code, particularly to highlight functions that can be used by developers. Having basic knowledge of PHP will help, but is not required to gain something from this talk.
Topics on the agenda:
- Deciding between importing and reading data.
- Picking modules (or writing your own) to move data into Drupal.
- Exposing data to Drupal using views or services.
- Handling an external user authentication system.
- Strategies for getting Drupal 6 data into Drupal 7.
Topics not included:
- Sending data from Drupal to elsewhere.
- Dealing with third-party APIs